Thursday, October 9, 2008

What sustains you?

Things that sustain me (written for The Well, the Hyaets newsletter, and reprinted here)

Food, beauty, creation, love, laughter, water

To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from hisholy hill. Selah. I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. Psalm 3:4-6

Folk music, art, good novels, work, shelter

Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me. Psalm 54:4

Air, trees, friends, new experiences, plants

The Son is the radiance of god's glory and exact representation of his being, sustaining all thigns by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty of heaven. So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs. Hebrews 1:3&4

Making things, cheese, hugs, sleep, conversation

Each of us is now a part of his resurrection body, refreshed and sustained at one fountain- his spirit- where we all come to drink. The old labels we once used to identify ourselves- lavels like Jew or Greek, slave or free- are no longer useful. We need something larger, more comprehensive. 1 Corinthians 12:12

No comments: